Saturday, April 9, 2011

BSSG Rug Hooking

What a fun day!  I attended a Black Swamp Spinners Guild event today.  We learned how to Rug Hook from Jan Ryan - from Ryan's Edgy Art - awesome class.  We each got a kit that included our pattern on a piece of linen burlap, an embroidery hoop, a rug hooking hook and handdyed, hand spun yarns in about 5 varieties - all were handspun  and dyed by Jan.  My kit had several shades of pink/plum, then a cable plyed yarn - that had one ply varigated and one green and then a piece of handdyed wool fabric. 

Jan gave us some history, then showed us how to use the hook, gave some pointers and off we went hooking! 

I tried to learn this by myself a few years ago - I wanted to use my handspun yarn - but everyone I asked and all my research showed using just the wool fabric - but in Jan's class we used handspun yarn - just what I was looking for.  I was even able to incorporate some of my yarn in the center of a flower - my summer confetti yarn, which is Montgomery's fleece with orange and pink threads and angelina.  It looks cool.

I will post some pictures later in the week.

No comments: